Police launch hunt for gang accused of assaulting woman

Dec 29, 2018

RAWALPINDI: A 19-year-old woman suffering from hearing impairment was kept in illegal detention and subjected to sexual assault by a gang for about two weeks, police said on Friday.

A resident of Tench Bhatta complained to the police that her granddaughter was three-year-old when her parents died and she was taken care of by her. She has been suffering from hearing impairment and could not speak since birth.

The complainant said a man along with his wife came to her house in 2017 and proposed her granddaughter’s marriage with a brother of the man’s wife. After they assured her that they would take care of her granddaughter, her nikah was solemnised on Nov 24, 2017.

Following her marriage, the complainant was not allowed to meet her granddaughter by her husband and his sister. About nine months later, the complainant was informed that her granddaughter had gone missing.

The complainant then approached the police and lodged a complaint about the disappearance of her granddaughter. After knowing that the matter had been reported to the police, the suspects, including the husband of the woman, informed the complainant that her granddaughter had been traced and was with them.

The complainant said when she met her granddaughter, the latter communicated to her about her ordeal through which she had gone through. She gestured that she was detained in a house at Bangash Colony with her armed and legs tied by her husband and other people.

The victim also said she was subjected to sexual assault for 13 days by five people whom she could identify if they were produced before her. The suspects later shifted her to a house in Tench Bhatta and informed her grandmother that she had been recovered.

The Racecourse police registered a case against the suspects and launched an investigation.

City Police Officer (CPO) Abbas Ahsan told mediapersons that after receiving the complaint, an FIR was registered and an investigation launched. However, the nominated people are yet to be arrested.

(Daily Dawn)